Should We Fear An Artificial Intelligence?

Just a thought… after recent micro-plastic discoveries at ocean depths and on the ice at the North Pole, should we fear an Artificial Intelligence?

I worked as a marine biologist and science teacher for decades and have been a SCUBA diver since the 1970’s. Now, after decades in and on the water, I am just surprised we didn’t hit the end sooner.

A few weeks ago I was reading an article about the most recent record set at the Challenger Deep, and the plastics that were discovered. Too be honest I was stunned, we have measured micro-plastic concentrations five times higher than in the waters near shore.

We have found ‘continents’ of plastic floating in the oceans’ gyres all over the planet and it looks as though this is just the tip of the iceberg. We have even discovered windblown micro-plastics at the North Pole.

I suspect this plastic is responsible for recent coral and sponge die-offs. We are finding dead, emaciated whales with their stomachs stuffed with plastic, same as fish, and turtles.

We have no idea how long this micro-plastic has been seeping into the marine food-chain, seemingly unnoticed… it may be the root cause of our recent fisheries stock collapses. The two worst extinctions in Earth’s history were the Permian and the Cretaceous. There is a common thread between the two, and that is… in both cases, the oceans died.

We are now in the midst of the Anthropocene Extinction and if you want to know what it will be like when the ocean food chain completely collapses, just pay a visit to the Salton Sea in California.

I don’t believe we will beat Earth’s gravity in time to get self-sustaining colonies into space, so when the oceans die, we die.

Building an artificial intelligence with the ability to survive on its own is our only chance, to be remembered and not lost to time. I suspect there probably is intelligent life in the universe, and it is most likely AI.

Do you need to execute tasks with percision and accuracy?

Grow and scale your organization easily by automating business crucial functions with Robotic Process Automation (RPA).