Some of the best design quotes that changed your thinking about design

(Karthik Kamalakannan) #1

This thread is for collecting all the quotes that inspire you as a designer. Comment out your favorite quotes, and I’ll add them here with credits.

Here’s one to start with:

“Things which are different in order to be different are seldom better, but that which is made to be better is almost always different.” — Dieter Rams

(Praveen Juge) #2

“Good designers must always be avant-gardists, always one step ahead of the times. They should–and must–question everything generally thought to be obvious. They must have an intuition for people’s changing attitudes. For the reality in which they live, for their dreams, their desires, their worries, their needs, their living habits. They must also be able to assess realistically the opportunities and bounds of technology.” –Dieter Rams

(Karthik Kamalakannan) #3

“There are three responses to a piece of design. Yes, no and Wow! Wow is the one to aim for.” -Milton Glaser

Know more about Milton Glaser here.

(Hareessh) #4

“Creativity is just connecting things” - Steve Jobs.

When I first read this quote, it made no sense to me at all! Recently, I came across an article where the author explained how playing the guitar actually improved his writing skills. He goes to explain how spending your leisure time on hobbies will have a profound effect on your actual work. There’s also scientific proof that the hobbies that you pursue does in fact improve the work you do.

This got me thinking. Your hobbies give you different experiences and skills, which you can connect with your main work, to create innovative and creative ideas!

Here’s the link to the article: https://zapier.com/blog/hobbies-for-success/

(Karthik Kamalakannan) #5

“The public is more familiar with bad design than good design. It is, in effect, conditioned to prefer bad design, because that is what it lives with. The new becomes threatening, the old reassuring.” - Paul rand

(Karthik Kamalakannan) #6

Here’s one that inspired me today:

Using pen and paper for ideas frees you from thinking only inside digital limitations - Mike Rohde

(Karthik Kamalakannan) #7

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist. — Louis Nizer